Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Maple-Mustard Glazed Chicken

Courtesy of Cooking Light

I have had this recipe on my list for a while now and tonight I finally decided I was in the mood for chicken. So, maple mustard chicken it was! It was nice in that it has a sweet, yet hint of mustard taste. I used deli mustard instead of stone ground, just because that's what I had on hand. I literally had every other mustard besides stone ground, but this one worked just fine. If I made this again, I would probably add more mustard. It was a quick and easy chicken dish, which is great during the week! As always, this makes great leftovers :) NOTE: I was not able to use the sauce after taking this out of the oven - it was way to syrupy and thick already.

Ingredients:
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth 
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 2 medium garlic cloves, thinly sliced 
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon deli mustard (or your favorite mustard, but not honey mustard, that would be sweet overkill)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°. Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Add chicken to pan; sauté 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add broth, syrup, thyme, and garlic to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar and mustard; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan, and spoon mustard mixture over chicken. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until the chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Place pan over medium heat; cook mustard mixture 2 minutes or until liquid is syrupy, stirring frequently. Serve with chicken. 

1 comment:

  1. I made this recently! But I didn't feel like using the oven, so I kept cooking it on the stove and it made the chicken really good and crispy. Also, this way it was easier to preserve some sauce in the pan. The other thing I did was add leftover rice from a recent takeout order to the pan with the chicken and it was awesome. The rice picked up all of the sauce that would've otherwise been wasted. Scott had asked for this several times already...

    ReplyDelete