Thursday, November 29, 2012

Authentic Italian Meatballs

Adapted from Food.com & In Memory *of* Brats

Homemade meatballs are such a great comfort food, and who can say no to delicious meatballs that have been simmering in a yummy sauce for hours? It's like having built-in potpourri! I usually make my marinara sauce from scratch, but I am a sucker for Rao's sauce. This go around, I tried a new meatball recipe and simmered it using Rao's Tomato & Basil sauce. I served it over some pasta, whole wheat for Nick, regular for me :) This recipe made about 14 meatballs, so there will be plenty of leftovers! The original recipe calls for dunking the raw meatballs in the sauce and simmering for 3 hours. I decided to brown them first on both sides so that they wouldn't fall apart, and to keep the flavor sealed in. This cut my simmer time down a bit. With plenty of sauce, about a jar and a half, I simmered them for about 2 hours and turned them a couple of times. This will definitely win some folks over, and are great for a group! Enjoy :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef (I used 93/7)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup skim milk
  • 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 tb fresh Parsley
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1-1/2 jar of good quality marinara sauce (or homemade)
Directions:
Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl (except the marinara sauce). Form into meatballs, approximately the size of a golf ball. Put a swirl of olive oil in a pan and once hot, brown the meatballs on each side, just about 30 seconds per side. Place the meatballs into a dutch oven filled with the marinara sauce and simmer for approximately 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. These could be done after an hour, but I needed to let mine go a bit longer to keep them warm. Meanwhile, boil some pasta of your choice. Once the meatballs are done, top the pasta and add some freshly grated Italian cheese and parsley.

No comments:

Post a Comment