Sunday, October 23, 2016

Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Salsa Verde

Courtesy of Plated Perfection

I've been dying to make chicken enchiladas, as they're one of my favorite things in the world. I've also been wanting to attempt my own salsa verde, which I also tackled in this same recipe! The prep time for this was a bit long, but I think that was partially because it was my first time making it. You could easily prep the salsa beforehand as well. A lot of folks hate on using flour tortillas, but I did this go around since I had them and love them. These turned out delicious - definitely give it a try! I served this with some sauteed black beans with a bit of onion, garlic, bay leaf, chicken broth and salt and pepper.

Roasted Salsa Verde
Ingredients:
1 lb tomatillos, husked and rinsed (I used 5 as they weren't super big when I bought them)
3 cloves garlic (I didn't peel these until after roasting)
1 onion, peeled and cut into quarters (I used yellow since I had it on hand and it turned out just fine)
2 jalapeno peppers
1 lime
dash of cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup cilantro, rinsed and stems cut off

Directions:
Roast the tomatillos, onion, garlic and peppers at 425 degrees for about 15 minutes. When done, take the garlic out of their shell and cut the jalapenos in half, removing the seeds (this is to make it not super spicy). Leave the seeds in if you prefer it spicy. Throw the tomatillos, onion, garlic and jalapenos in the food processor with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth. Set aside. Season with a bit more salt if necessary.

Chicken Enchiladas
Ingredients:
2 cups shredded chicken (I used the white meat of a rotisserie chicken)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups salsa verde
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or cheese of your preference) -- I bought a block and shredded it myself because I feel it melts easier
6 flour tortillas

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the shredded chicken with 1 cup of salsa verde and the sour cream. Mix in approximately half of the cheese. Spray a baking dish (2 qt should work) and place enough salsa verde on the bottom of the dish to coat it. Assemble your tortillas by placing 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture in each tortilla. Roll and place seam side down in your baking dish. It'll be a tight fit, but you should be able to fit 6 in there. Top with remaining salsa verde and cheese. Cover with foil and bake for approximately 15 minutes. Take out and remove the foil, and place back in the oven for approximately 10 minutes until the cheese is completely melted. Serve immediately!



No comments:

Post a Comment