Friday, October 15, 2010

Egg Roll Wrapper Lasagna with Caper Vinegarette Salad

I had leftover egg roll wrappers and had no idea what to do with them -- but, thanks to Google, I found out you could make egg roll wrapper lasagna. I was intrigued. I just kind of threw together some different, random recipes and it turned out very delicious!

Meat Sauce:
Saute a small yellow onion and about 2 cloves of garlic in olive oil. Once soft, add a pound of lean ground beef. Cook the meat until it's done. Season with salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Add a 28 oz can of San Marzano crushed tomatoes (my favorite anyway) and a 6 oz can of tomato paste. I got both of those flavored with italian seasoning as well. Stir and simmer for a few minutes.
Vegetables:
You can choose whichever vegetables you want to use, but make enough to cover one layer of the lasagna. I chose zucchini, carrots and asparagus. I shred one zucchini and about half a bag of small carrots. I sauteed these with a little vegetable oil and italian seasoning. You don't want to cook them too much, just for a couple of minutes. I cut the asparagus into small pieces but did not cook these quite yet.
Assembly and Cooking the Lasagna:
Spread a layer of the meat sauce in the lasagna dish and then add a layer of the egg roll wrappers to fit the bottom. You may need to cut the wrappers to make them fit. Add a thick layer of meat sauce and sprinkle with italian blend cheese. Add another layer of egg roll wrappers, another layer of sauce, and a layer of all vegetables (I just laid the asparagus on top of the sauteed vegetables. Sprinkle with more cheese. Add another layer of wrappers, sauce and cheese. I added some grated parmesan to the top as well. Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes.
Salad with Caper Vinegarette:
Romaine lettuce & feta are added to a bowl. The dressing is then tossed on top.

1/4  cup  red wine vinegar
1 1/2  tablespoons  fresh lemon juice
1  tablespoon  capers
1  tablespoon  honey mustard
2  teaspoons  extravirgin olive oil
1/2  teaspoon  sugar
1/2  teaspoon  salt
1/8  teaspoon  freshly ground black pepper

1 comment:

  1. look really yummy AND easy to make! will have to try it! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete