Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Key Lime Oatmeal Bars

Courtesy of Nellie & Joe's Famous Lime Juice
For anyone that knows me, you know I despise baking....despise. It's not that I can't do it, I just don't enjoy it. I don't like the idea of measuring things. It just doesn't do it for me. However, I have become intrigued by key lime juice. I was looking up various recipes for this and came across something called "Choo Chew Bars". This name drives me batty, so I changed it to "Key Lime Oatmeal Bars". However, for someone that doesn't like to bake, I must say they were pretty easy, and came out pretty yummy...I've gotten many compliments! Oh, and they made my place smell nice when I was baking them :)

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 2 cups old fashioned oatmeal
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup all purpose flour, sifted
  • 2½ tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
  • ½ cup Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
  • 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
Cream butter and brown sugar, stir in oats and dry ingredients. Mix until crumbly. Spread half of mixture in well greased 13x9x2" pan, packing firmly. Combine condensed milk, Nellie & Joe's Key West Lime Juice, egg yolks and lime zest; let stand 1 minute to thicken. Spread over crumb crust; sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes in pan. Chill several hours in refrigerator until firm. Cut into squares.


No comments:

Post a Comment