Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Chicken & Black Bean Smoky Rice Skillet

Adapted from Picky Palate

I've had this recipe in my queue for some time, but finally got around to making it! I have been pretty busy with our new addition, this cutie pie named Patches :) -- she's a French Bulldog and so adorable that I can barely say no to her! In any event, last night I needed something somewhat easy to make that would preferably give us some leftovers. This was a great dish! We were both big fans, and I actually think it would also be good on lettuce wraps or tortillas. I just adjusted the seasoning a little and then cut the recipe in half. Definitely a great, hearty meal! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • 1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cups finely chopped white onion
  • 1 cup sliced zucchini
  • 1 cup sliced yellow squash
  • 1-2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1.5 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 8 ounces can black beans, drained
  • 1.5 cups prepared rice medley (I used Uncle Ben's Long Grain + Wild Rice Medley)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika 
  • approx 1 tsp. seasoning salt
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped parsley
Directions:

You can either purchase shredded chicken or make it yourself. I browned two chicken breasts in a little bit of olive oil, seasoning salt, and pepper on each side and then baked in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes. I then shredded the meat with my fingers once it cooled down. Heat oil into a large skillet over medium heat. Saute zucchini, squash, and onions until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add chicken, beans, rice, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, pepper and parsley stirring to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or until hot. NOTE: I had another chicken breast left over, so I just put that on a salad the next day. This made approximately 4 servings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment