Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nana's Chicken Pastina Soup

Courtesy of Cooking Light

OK, this is not "my Nana's" soup - this is just the name out of Cooking Light and I felt guilty changing it. Don't get me wrong though - my family makes some amazing food, including great soups! However, I had been wanting to try something new and had the motivation to try a new soup tonight. I gotta say - I was impressed with this soup. It is super easy to make, and the flavor is really delicious. My goal is to have it for lunch a day or so and then freeze the rest. Check it out! Oh, and there are a few pictures just because I couldn't resist the cute pasta:
and fresh pesto that was SO yummy:
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 1/4 cups pre-chopped celery, onion, and carrot mix
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 pound cooked chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes or shredded)
  • 1/4 cup (1 1/2 ounces) uncooked pastina (I used Stellina)
  • 3 tablespoons commercial pesto (Whole Foods has delicious fresh pesto)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) fresh Parmesan cheese

Preparation

Note: I boiled the chicken. Bring water and broth to a boil in a large saucepan/Dutch oven. Stir in celery mix, pepper, salt, and chicken; bring to a boil. Add pasta; cook 4 minutes. Be sure to stir immediately so the pasta does not stick to the bottom. Stir in pesto and juice, and simmer 1 minute. Sprinkle with cheese. I preserved the cheese for each serving, personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment