Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Shrimp Avocado Salsa

Adapted from Skinnytaste Blog

I have been on the hunt for healthy food items, especially for lunch. I usually love to rely on leftovers, but sometimes we eat it all (oops).  I can thank my new obsession, Pinterest, for this recipe idea. I stumbled across it and it just sounded so refreshing and delicious. The main changes I made were that I scaled it down (just wanted a portion for myself), eyeballed everything, left out the jalapeno because I didn't have any, and added avocado (just because it's so yummy and it's healthy)! I highly recommend this recipe, especially during the spring and summer!

Ingredients:
1/2 lb peeled, deveined shrimp (I took tails off)
1 tomato (I actually used about 4 cherry tomatoes), diced
1/4 red onion, diced
handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
1-2 limes (depends on your preference for lime - I love it)
1/2 avocado, chopped into bite sized pieces
salt and pepper to taste
splash of olive oil

Directions:
Toss the shrimp in a bowl with the zest and juice of half a lime, olive oil, and a dash of salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet over aluminum foil and bake/roast at 400 degrees for about 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Once the shrimp are out of the oven and cooled, dice and add to the salsa mixture. Add the juice of the other half of lime. Stir together and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving. I did mine overnight. The next morning (this morning), I cut up half an avocado and threw that in along with the juice of another half lime. At lunch time, it was fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment