Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Spicy Grilled Jalapeno & Lime Shrimp

Adapted from Cook's Country

It would appear that shrimp has been on my mind, considering the last 3 recipes I've posted have included them...just an interesting observation. Shrimp are great because they're healthy, easy, and very versatile. They usually remind me of spring/summer, so maybe I'm just subconsciously trying to bring the warm weather back! In any event, this recipe is meant to be grilled, but it's way too cold for that, so I used the broiler and they still came out great! I can thank a good friend of mine for introducing these to me -- she made them for us a couple of weeks ago and they were just delighful, so I had her send me the recipe. These would be great as an appetizer (as I did), or you could even top some pasta with them and I think it would also be good. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
  • Equipment needed: long skewers (I used wood -- make sure you soak in water first)
  • 1 jalapeƱo pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Zest of 1 lime, plus 5 tablespoons juice (from 3 limes)
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced (1 to 2 tablespoons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can substitute black pepper if you're out like I was)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21 to 25 per pound), peeled and deveined
  • 1 teaspoon sugar (save for later)
  • 1 tb fresh cilantro, chopped (save for later)
Directions:
Combine the jalapeno, olive oil, lime zest and juice, garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt in a food processor. Blend until smooth. Set aside 2 tb of the marinade for later.

Butterfly the shrimp. Mix the shrimp with the marinade and refrigerate covered for at least 30 minutes, but not more than 1 hour. Place the shrimp onto skewers, alternating the direction of the shrimp. Sprinkle one side of the shrimp with the sugar.

Place the shrimp on a baking sheet and place under the broiler (about 3-4 inches from the top) on High. Cook with the sugared side down first, about 3-4 minutes. Flip the skewers and cook an additional 1-2 minutes. Once done, top with the remaining marinade and cilantro. Serve immediately. (I just served mine in a bowl and just took them off the skewers before adding the remaining marinade and cilantro).

No comments:

Post a Comment