Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Bison Flank Steak Tacos

Courtesy of Plated Perfection


This was Day 2 of cooking healthy (for the most part) this week. Bison is a very lean meat and I love it. I get it from Cibola Farms (located in Culpeper, VA) at the Farmer's Market. They have a huge variety of cuts of bison, along with some other meats and products. They never disappoint. I decided to turn this piece of bison into tacos -- who doesn't love tacos on a Tuesday?! I marinated the bison for about 8 hours and I think that made a nice difference in flavor. I don't think 8 hours is necessary, but I'd do at least 4 to get the flavor. I think I went a little weak on the amount of marinade I made -- I usually like the meat to be swimming in it, but this still worked! Next time, I may just add a bit more to the portion of the marinade. Give this a go on Taco Tuesday!


Ingredients:
1.5 pound bison flank steak (or skirt steak)
juice of 1 lime
zest of 1 lime
2 garlic cloves
handful of fresh cilantro
3 tb olive oil
1 tsp ground smoked chipotle pepper
~2 tb Worcestershire sauce
salt, to taste


Taco Additions:
tortillas or shells of your choice
shredded cheddar/monterey jack cheese
fresh guacamole
shredded lettuce
chopped tomatoes
salsa of your choice


Directions:
In a food processor, combine the lime zest and juice, garlic, cilantro, olive oil, chipotle pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Season the bison with salt on both sides and then cover in marinade on both sides. Cover in a container/dish and marinate for 4-12 hours. Place a large grill pan on high heat and sear both sides of the bison. Reduce the heat to medium-high and cook each side for an additional 2 minutes, depending on the thickness of the steak. It's even more ideal to cook the bison on the grill, but I didn't this time around. When done, remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes. Slice and cut into bite size chunks for the tacos. Fill your taco with your favorite toppings on top of the delicious bison!




No comments:

Post a Comment