Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Stewed Okra & Tomatoes

Courtesy of Plated Perfection

I am totally shocked that I have not eaten okra before, especially being that I am from a small town called King & Queen County, VA. I have lived in Arlington, VA for 7 years and don't ever see myself leaving, but one thing I took away from my upbringing was my terrific family and their amazing food. This is something I am surprised wasn't around for dinner, but maybe it was and I just claimed I didn't like it :) I used to do that as a child. Long story short, I decided to try cooking some of these babies up. They turned out pretty yummy! It's a fun way to spice up the boring vegetables you're used to eating!
  • 1 bag frozen cut okra (since this was my first time, I didn't want to mess with prepping fresh okra)
  • 1 can/box of chopped tomatoes (I used Pomi -- delicious!!!!)
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • dash of pepper, to taste
  • dash of salt, to taste
  • 1-2 tb olive oil (your preference)
In a Dutch oven, saute the onion in olive oil until transluscent (about 5 minutes or so). Toss in the frozen okra and stir. Stir in the chopped tomatoes. Simmer over Medium heat and continue to stir every few minutes. Toss in the salt and pepper to taste. Slurp up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment