Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Baked Eggs with Tomato Sauce

Courtesy of Plated Perfection

I love tomato sauce and am usually looking for any excuse to eat it. I do like to make my own sauce usually, but there are two brands that I absolutely love: Rao's (my FAVORITE Italian restaurant) and San Marzano.  I had some San Marzano on hand, so thought I'd toss it into breakfast! I also got to use the cutest baking dish ever - which was a gift years ago from my friend Sarah. Try this out, it's delicious and absurdly easy to make!

Ingredients
1 egg
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 basil leaf, chiffonade style
2 tb fresh grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper
1-2 slices toast (I used sourdough)
dash of garlic powder (I used garlic powder with parsley)
1 tsp olive oil, to brush on the toast

Directions
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spoon 1/4 cup tomato sauce into the ramekin (or small dish). Top with half of the parmesan cheese and the basil. Crack one egg on top. Top with a dash of salt and pepper. Bake for approximately 12 minutes until the white develops and the yolk starts to set (to your preference). In the meantime, brush the olive oil on the bread and sprinkle with the garlic powder and a pinch of parmesan cheese. Throw the bread in the last 5 minutes while the egg is cooking, on aluminum foil, until bread is crisp. Take both out of the oven and top the egg with the remaining parmesan cheese. Scoop up with the bread and savor it!

No comments:

Post a Comment