Saturday, November 19, 2011

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon, Garlic, and Shallots

Courtesy of Cooking Light

I have a confession. I have never had brussel sprouts...seriously. It was one of those foods growing up that I claimed I did not like, but had actually never tried. I somehow got away with never having to eat them, but lately, I've seen a few recipes that looked pretty good. After all, I am 30 years old, so I figured it's something I should try. I actually thought these were pretty good! Well, adding bacon to anything makes it good, but these were definitely tasty.

Ingredients

  • 6 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced shallot (about 1 large)
  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon, and sauté for 5 minutes or until bacon begins to brown. Remove pan from heat. Remove the bacon from pan with a slotted spoon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in pan (discard the remaining drippings).
2. Return pan to medium-high heat, and stir in bacon, shallot, and Brussels sprouts; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic, and saute for 4 minutes or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Add the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes or until the broth mostly evaporates and the sprouts are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment