Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ginger Soy Glazed Mahi Mahi with Asparagus & Oranges

Courtesy of Coastal Living
Fish is one of my favorite things to cook -- it's healthy, quick, and usually very tasty. The key is to buy fresh, good quality fish. I actually prefer Harris Teeter because they have weekly specials and I always go for what is fresh that week, or on the day(s) that I go (which is way too often in one week). Mahi Mahi is one of those fishes I tend to get at restaurants, but not make on my own. I'm not sure why -- maybe because it's usually pretty expensive. In any event, I purchased it this week and it was delicious! I think this sauce/recipe would be good with any somewhat firm white fish. I decided to add some asparagus since I had some on hand, and would have liked to have some rice, but there was just no time! I was too hungry.

Mahi Mahi
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 (6- to 8-ounce) mahi mahi fillets, about 1 inch thick
Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a small bowl until well combined. Set aside. Heat canola oil and sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in soy sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Add fish fillets; cook, covered, 4 minutes. Carefully turn fillets over using a spatula, cover, and cook 3 to 5 additional minutes. Transfer fillets to serving plates, and drizzle each evenly with the pan sauce. Serve immediately.

Asparagus
  • 1 to 1 1/4 pounds asparagus spears
  • 2 navel oranges
  • 1-inch fresh ginger root
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds (I didn't have these on hand, so left them out)
Let me start by saying, I screwed up the oranges in terms of how you were supposed to cut them. Things got a little messy, so I just decided to wing it -- therefore, mine do not look AS pretty :)

Using a peeler, make thin long strips of orange zest from both oranges. Cut the ends off the zested oranges and stand them up right on a cutting board. Remove the pith in strips using sharp knife and cutting down from the top of the orange. Discard the pith. When the oranges are both peeled and trimmed, turn them on their sides and slice into 1/4-inch rounds, cross sectioning the whole. Set the orange disks aside. In a skillet with a cover, bring 1-inch water to a boil with the zest of the oranges and grated fresh gingerroot. Allow the orange zest and ginger to simmer for at least 1 minute then add salt and asparagus spears. Simmer the spears 3 to 5 minutes until just tender. Drain the asparagus. Discard the orange zest and ginger. Sprinkle sesame seeds over asparagus and oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment