Wednesday, March 9, 2011

What? A Pork Butt?

Courtesy of a Family Recipe
I am aware that there are many kinds of BBQ, but my all time favorite for as long as I can remember is North Carolina style. This probably has something to do with the fact that my family, and my friends, would travel to the Outer Banks at least once a summer. This was our tradition! Even though I now live in DC, I still try to get back when I can :) Nothing beats it...in my opinion anyway :) One of my favorite things to do is pick up authentic BBQ on the way home so that I can bring some OBX with me. However, my Mom made these a while back and it tastes delicious, and the sauce reminds me of good ole' North Carolina. The perk -- this way, I can save myself about a 7 hour drive.
This does involve using a crock pot, so have one of those on hand.

Ingredients
2 onions, quartered
2 tb brown sugar
1 tb paprika
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 (4-6 lb) pork butt/shoulder roast (Nick located a 5 pounder)
3/4 cup cider vinegar
4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
hamburger buns

Place onions in crock pot. Combine brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Rub over roast.
Combine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, dry mustard, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper. Mix well.
Drizzle 1/3 of the vinegar mixture over the roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining vinegar sauce.
Cover crock pot and cook on low for 10-12 hours on LOW or 4-6 hours on HIGH. In my case, this took about 6 hours. Drizzle 1/3 of reserved vinegar over roast during last half hour of cooking. Remove meat and onions and drain. Chop or shred meat  and chop onions. Serve meat and onion mixture on a toasted bun. Feel free to add more sauce if desired, it does have a little bit of a kick! Top with cole slaw, if desired :)

No comments:

Post a Comment