Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chicken Parmesan Roll Ups & Pesto Pasta

Courtesy of Plated Perfection
This started because I wanted to make something on my own (without following a recipe) and I wanted it to be somewhat healthy (ok, so I added the pasta last minute -- oops). It just seemed like the right thing to do. This dish is pretty quick to assemble, and then you just bake it off! You can boil the pasta while that's going on, so it's really pretty stress free! Who can say no to fresh mozzarella, basil, tomatoes, and pesto? Not this girl. You can either scale this down or up, very easily, but this is just the route I took so that I'd have leftovers tomorrow :)

4 thin sliced chicken breasts
4 slices of fresh mozzarella (I buy the balls and slice myself)
4 pieces of fresh basil (can use more if you so desire)
1 can (14.5 oz) fire roasted crushed tomatoes (I used Muir Glen®)
1 cup pasta (I used Ditalini)
2 tb pesto sauce (or more if desired)
1 tb olive oil
salt + pepper
1 tb Italian seasoning
grated Parmesan cheese (I usually have fresh, but didn't this go around)

Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray (or olive oil). Top each piece of chicken with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread enough crushed tomatoes to cover the chicken. Top with a slice of fresh mozzarella and a piece of basil (at the wider end of the chicken breast). Roll the chicken starting at this end, until it's secured. I was lucky enough to not need twine or tooth picks. I simply rolled them and laid them in the dish. Top with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 for approximately 25 -30 minutes. **Note: next go around, I would add more crushed tomatoes on the top of the chicken roll before baking.

While the chicken is baking, boil the water for pasta (amount depends on the amount of pasta). Throw in some salt, and a dash of olive oil. Bring to a rapid boil and throw in the pasta. Once the pasta is al dente, drain, leaving about 1 tb of pasta water, and mix the pesto in with the pasta. Serve the chicken over the pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment