Monday, April 11, 2011

Salmon Cakes & Veggie Skewers

Courtesy of Plated Perfection (adapted from my Dad's recipe)
When my Dad came to visit a few months back, he told me about these salmon cakes that he makes. They sounded delicious and I finally asked him for the recipe :) I made just a couple of changes just because of what I had on hand, etc. I was hoping to make fresh salmon to use, but I ended up just going with canned for this go around. I would say to be somewhat picky in the brand you get, and I would also suggest getting the boneless and skinless kind. There are a lot of people that use the bones in the recipe, but that grosses me out :) We just finished up dinner and the verdict is...delicious.

Salmon Cakes:
3 6oz. cans of boneless, skinless canned salmon
1 cup thawed, chopped spinach
4 tb feta cheese
1 tb dry mustard
1/2 tb lemon pepper
few dashes of salt and pepper
1 egg
1 tb remoulade sauce (optional)
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup to 1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs or panko

In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Form into patties (I was able to get 5 patties). Heat 1-2 tb olive oil and cook the salmon cakes about 4 minutes per side over medium heat, until browned. Top with remoulade sauce and a splash of lemon juice.

Veggie Skewers:
1 squash, peeled and chopped into wedges
1 zucchini, peeled and chopped into wedges
1 green pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1-2 tb olive oil
splash of salt and pepper
5 skewers

In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except the skewers, obviously). Feel free to let marinate for a few minutes. Assemble the skewers. If using wooden skewers, make sure you soak them in water for 15 minutes so that they won't burn. Grill, if possible, for several minutes per side. Otherwise, bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment