Monday, March 5, 2012

Chicken Stelline Soup

Courtesy of Plated Perfection

This recipe stemmed from the fact that I'm sick, again. This is the third cold I have had in two months! I blame this indecisive weather of ours in the Northern VA area. In any event, I decided to make some soup and thought I'd take a chance with my own concoction. It turned out really well I thought! I made just enough for me to have today and tomorrow, but you could easily increase the recipe to make more. It would be great as leftovers. Spring is coming, get your comfort food in before it gets too warm! (NOTE: You could also use cut up chicken tenders to cook in the soup. I chose to roast the split chicken breast.)

Ingredients:
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 rib celery, chopped
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 cups chicken broth (low sodium)
  • 1 packet Flavor Boost chicken stock packet
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 split chicken breast, skin-on and bone-in
  • 1/4 stelline pasta (or pasta of your choice)
  • dash of garlic powder with parsley
  • A small handful fresh dill, chopped
  • dash of Italian seasoning
  • olive oil, for chicken breast
  • juice of half a lemon
Directions:
Rub the split chicken breast with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning (or seasoning of your choice), salt, and pepper. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Remove skin and cut up chicken into chunks once cooled. Set aside. Add olive oil to dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, and celery. Season with salt and pepper and throw in the bay leaf. Stir a couple of minutes until a little softened, making sure not to burn. Add the chicken broth, water, and Flavor Boost packet. Stir and bring to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes. Throw in the chopped chicken, lemon juice, garlic powder and dill. Stir for a couple more minutes and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment