Saturday, March 3, 2012

Stove Top Mac n' Cheese

Adapted from Alton Brown

When Nick told me he was making Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf, I decided I would make the side. My choice were obviously between mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese. I asked him which he'd prefer and he said macaroni and cheese, so the search began! I've made this before, as I would think most people have, but I thought I'd try a new recipe. I found Alton Brown's which appeared to be quicker than most and wouldn't interfere with Nick's baking of the meatloaf in the oven. I adapted the recipe just by adding a different cheese, so feel free to get creative in that department!

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 6 ounces evaporated milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • Fresh black pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • Approximately 5-6 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
  • Approximately 5-6 ounces fontina, shredded
Directions:
In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat. Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

No comments:

Post a Comment