Monday, March 12, 2012

Pot Roast

Adapted from Ree Drummond and Cooking L:ight

Pot roast...everyone has had this at some point in their life (or so I would hope). I usually think of it as more of a winter/fall meal, but for some reason, I was craving it and thought I'd attempt it myself. I'm actually looking more forward to the vegetables than the meat, is that weird? I made this just for Nick and I, so I bought a small piece of meat. Added bonus: your place will smell amazing! Be careful which cut of meat you buy. I will say, mine was very lean and got a little too tough. With it only being 1.5 pounds, I only cooked it for about 45 minutes. Lessons learned: buy a cut of meat that has some fat on it and make sure not to overcook. It will continue to cook once you take it out.


Ingredients:
  • 1 (1.5 pound) whole eye of round beef roast (or whichever you prefer)
  • 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
  • 1 Yellow Onion, quartered or halved
  • 3 whole Carrots (wish I had bought 4)
  • Salt To Taste
  • Pepper To Taste
  • 1 cup Red Wine (optional, You Can Use Beef Broth Instead)
  • 2 cups To 3 Cups Beef Stock
  • 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme, or more to taste
  • 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, or more to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 leek (because I had one on hand), sliced and washed thoroughly
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350º. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté and brown each side of onions about 4 minutes or until tender. Remove onions to a plate and saute the carrots for approximately 5 minutes to get a little brown on them. Remove from pan.Add oil if necessary. Return browned roast to pan. Add the red wine, rosemary, garlic, thyme sprigs, chopped garlic, beef broth, and bay leaf to pan. Throw in the carrots, leeks, onion, and potatoes; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender. Remove thyme sprigs, rosemary, and bay leaf from pan; discard. Shred meat with 2 forks. Serve roast with vegetable mixture and cooking liquid. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment